Subway announced today that it’s making improvements to almost every item on its menu, as well as introducing digital upgrades designed to elevate customer experience as part of Eat Fresh Refresh, the largest menu update in the brand’s 56-year-history.
More than 10,000 Subway locations across the country will close at 6:00 p.m. local time on Monday, July 12, 2021 to refresh and get ready for the launch and a one million sub sandwich giveaway, which will occur on Tuesday, July 13 from 10:00 a.m. until noon local time. Fans can visit any participating Subway location and get a free six-inch new Turkey Cali Fresh sub upon request.
Starting on Tuesday, July 13, the Eat Fresh Refresh arrives in U.S. Subway restaurants nationwide featuring more than 20 menu updates, including 11 new and improved ingredients, six all-new or returning sandwiches, and four revamped signature sandwiches.
Highlights among the changes include two new fresh-baked breads – Artisan Italian and Hearty Multigrain – and four new sandwiches – Turkey Cali Fresh, Steak Cali Fresh, Subway Club, and All-American Club.
In development for over two years, the new Artisan Italian Bread is baked for longer at a higher temperature to give it a crispier crust and a softer center, while the new Hearty Multigrain Bread is made with Amber soft grain and three types of seeds, “showcasing its naturally sweet flavor.”
Here’s what you can expect to find at a Subway near following the Eat Fresh Refresh menu update:
New and Returning Sandwiches
- New Turkey Cali Fresh: Oven roasted turkey, hickory-smoked bacon, smashed avocado, BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella cheese, mayo, spinach, red onion and tomatoes, served on freshly baked Hearty Multigrain bread.
- New Steak Cali Fresh: Steak, hickory-smoked bacon, smashed avocado, and BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella cheese topped with spinach, red onion, tomatoes and mayo, served on freshly baked Hearty Multigrain bread.
- New Subway Club: Oven roasted turkey, black forest ham, roast beef, lettuce, tomato and red onions on Hearty Multigrain Bread.
- New All-American Club: Oven roasted turkey, black forest ham and hickory-smoked bacon paired with American cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and red onions, served on toasted Artisan Italian bread.
- Returning Rotisserie-Style Chicken: Customers can choose from the array of new ingredients, along with old favorites, to complete their Rotisserie-Style Chicken sandwiches.
- Returning Roast Beef: Fan-favorite roast beef returns this fall with a better choice Angus roast beef.
New and Improved Ingredients
- Smashed Avocado: Crafted using only two ingredients, Haas avocados and sea salt.
- BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella: Made with fresh milk by award-winning cheesemakers in Wisconsin.
- MVP Parmesan Vinaigrette: Boasts flavors of multiple herbs, savory notes of garlic and parmesan that result in full, bright, and tangy flavor.
- Bacon: Crispy bacon that has been hickory-smoked for five hours resulting in sweet-and-smoky taste, free of artificial colors and flavors.
- Black Forest Ham: Sliced deli thin making fan favorite sub even tastier.
- Oven Roasted Turkey: Slow-roasted turkey that is lean and sliced deli-thin.
- Steak: A new ingredient to the chain that is seasoned, marinated and glazed featuring meaty flavor.
- Rotisserie-Style Chicken: Hand-pulled and tender chicken that is seasoned with the brand’s secret rub.
- Roast Beef: A new choice Angus roast beef that will debut this fall on the chain’s fan favorite roast beef subs.
Premium 100% Tuna
As part of the Eat Fresh Refresh menu update, many of Subway’s core protein options were improved, but there’s one ingredient that does not need an upgrade and that is the brand’s high-quality, premium tuna. Subway sources its 100 percent wild-caught tuna from leading global food suppliers that have a reputation for working diligently when it comes to food safety and quality experts that ensure “consistent, high-quality products at every stage of the supply chain.”
Enhanced Customer Experience
In addition to new subs, proteins, and toppings, Subway is also making the digital ordering experience simpler and more intuitive by meeting guests where they are on the Subway App, Subway.com and through third-party delivery partners to provide the same customized and consistent experience found in Subway restaurants. The updated App includes a new dashboard, improved ordering flow and insight into out-of-stock menu items with further updates planned for the fall.
Subway Delivery is also rolling out nationwide in select areas and allows customers to place delivery orders through the Subway App and Subway.com, giving them seamless access to new and refreshed menu items at almost any time. Additionally, fans visiting Subway restaurants in-person will instantly notice design refinements and remodels along with Sandwich Artists ready to serve the new menu and offer an improved restaurant experience.
What are your thoughts on Subway’s new Eat Fresh Refresh menu update? Is there any item you’re excited about? Let us know what you think down in the comments.